/*

17 October 2011

Personal Electronics: Migration to the Tablet

Back in June I bought an Android tablet. It was a good deal at the time but later the same new ViewSonic gTablet came on sale at $10 then $20 then $30 less than what I paid. A friend suggested that I switch from the tower to the tablet. I haven't decided exactly how and when I'm going to do that. I have things a certain way with the tower and I'll have to come up with a different method set for that.

I sleep with something playing, either a video on the computer or audiobooks playing on my iPod. I don't want to do that with the tablet. I'm not worried about it wearing out this soon. I guess at this point I don't want to charge it up all the time.

Right now I do the following with my electronics:

PC (Ubuntu Linux OS/Win7 dual boot):
  1. Watching videos
  2. Bill pay/Financial Stuff
  3. Photo editing
  4. Blogging
  5. Games (very rarely)

iPod:
  1. Listening to music and podcasts
  2. Running various apps
  3. Internet functions

gTablet:
  1. Games
  2. eBooks
  3. Internet functions

Under the new setup:

gTablet:
  1. Watching videos
  2. Bill pay/financial stuff
  3. Blogging
  4. Games
  5. eBooks
  6. Internet functions

iPod:
  1. No change

PC:
  1. Backup and file storage.
  2. Photo editing
  3. Syncing and updating mobile devices

I plan on trying out a USB or bluetooth keyboard for the gTablet. The tough keyboard in the GUI is hard to operate at least while holding the tablet. I wrote a blog post a few days ago from it and had to do a lot of extra keystroking to accomplish the same things. I'll have to try laying it flat and typing on the screen.

Apple's proprietary arrangement has been tiresome. I am also looking at a handheld Android device to replace the iPod. I am going to save up and get the handheld and then sell the iPod. I'll see how things work out regarding overtime. It'll mean less storage space but that's not a problem anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

*/