/*

03 November 2011

Preparing for the Winter Bug-in

3-Day BagIn the last five years I've had to spend a couple of nights at the hotel across the street from my job. Texas doesn't handle really cold winters well. A good three day snow can shut us down while places like Ohio would be bustling with plows and salt and the roads would be open again in a few hours. They're used to that. While we're used to triple-digit summers.

February gave us our first and last inclement weather days and a couple of us camped out in the hotel Thursday and Friday nights. By the weekend the slushy stuff had melted and dried and we were left with the sandy/salty stuff all over the place including our cars.

I usually keep a duffel bag of clothes and a toiletry kit in my car year-round. I didn't restock it after the days 9 months ago. I think I still had one change of clothes where I usually keep two. I reloaded it on Labor Day because of the chance that we might have to evac. because of the fires. Now the fires were quite a ways down the road and the chance of us needing to leave was very remote. But I'd have to help other people get their stuff together and that process would go more smoothly if mine is already taken care of.

We were still baking then so I didn't pack any winter stuff. Now that we're finally in November I decided to get the bag ready for the cold. I'm not packing for a bug out situation. The ice usually clears up in a couple of days and I'm betting that society and the economy will be as intact as they are now.

Bag Contents:

2 changes of clothing
Several pairs of socks
Several pairs of underwear
Belt
Suspenders
Toiletry kit
Knit hat
Scarf
Gloves

I keep a first aid kit in my messenger bag but I'm going to start adding first aid supplies to the toiletry kit. I'll also be adding meds and supplements plus some protein bars and the extra stainless water bottle.

Again this is for what Nutnfancy would call ROL or Rule of Law times. I still need to put together a full 72 hour kit. I probably need a few more items and a backpack that can hold it. The thing is in an evac. situation you don't want to have to repack a bunch of stuff that is already packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

*/