/*

25 February 2012

Fraud Charge on My Debit Card

This past Tuesday I went to my credit union website to balance my checking account. I noticed a charge from some outfit called amershop.net. I did not remember buying anything from this site and I checked my emails to see if someone I had been doing business with switched to them as their transaction handler. I couldn't find anything with that website or in that amount. So I ran their phone number through the startpage.com search engine and found them mentioned on ripoffreport.com where they'd run someone else's debit card for a small amount. So I went to the credit union and filed a fraud claim.

Part of the fraud claim process is that the customer needs to make an effort to contact the party and get the charge reversed. I called the number from the credit union and left a message giving my name and the amount of the transaction and I told them that I had never done business with them and wanted them to contact me about reversing it. Then I had the credit union cancel my debit card and issue me a new one.

I've spent the past few days going over my monthly transactions and identifying sites that charge my debit card on a regular basis so that I can switch them to a credit card I have and I'm not going to use my debit card online anymore.

This morning when I went to balance my account I noticed that the charge had been reversed. I appreciate that however I am not going to remove the fraud claim because my question is why did they have my card number, expiration date, etc. in the first place?

People used to balance checkbooks when they got their monthly statement in the mail with their canceled checks. There may be people who still do that. And small transactions of $5 or less might go un-noticed. I balance my account daily. Stuff like that sets off red flags.

No comments:

Post a Comment

*/